- Product Dimensions: 4.2 x 2.5 x 0.4 inches ; 4.5 ounces
- Shipping Weight: 14.4 ounces
- Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses. For APO/FPO shipments, please check with the manufacturer regarding warranty and support issues.
- ASIN: B003TLMQG8
- Item model number: Captivate
List Price :
You Save : $599.98 (99%)
Amazon.com Product Description
The super-smart Samsung Captivate for AT;T brings a fully integrated entertainment, messaging and social networking experience to your mobile phone, thanks to its open and innovative Android 2.1 platform. You'll be able to zip through the Web and multitask between a bevy of apps with the Captivate's 1 GHz processor and ultra-fast 7.2 Mbps 3G connectivity.
With integrated Google technology, the Samsung Captivate brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services millions use every day, including Google Search by voice, Google Maps with Street View, GTalk instant messaging (with presence capabilities), YouTube, and Picasa. The Captivate also provides easy access to both personal and corporate e-mail, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail. And through Android Market, you'll get access to thousands of useful applications, widgets and fun games to download and install on your phone, with many more apps being added every day.
The Captivate has a large 4-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen display that provides brighter, thinner, and higher-resolution than traditional screens. Samsung's innovative display technology makes watching movies, viewing videos and playing games come to life like never before, even in bright light and outdoor environments. And messaging is simple and easy with the Captivate's virtual QWERTY keyboard with Swype technology, which allows you to input text faster and in a more intuitive way with one continuous finger motion across the screen keyboard.
At 0.39 inches (9.9mm) thin, the Captivate is the thinnest Android smartphone on the market, and it packs in a 16 GB internal memory plus 5-megapixel camera/camcorder with auto-focus and HD video recording (720p resolution). Other features include fast Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g), Bluetooth 3.0 technology for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, microSD memory expansion (for optional cards up to 16 GB in size), and just under 6 hours of talk time.
Samsung Social Hub
Offering one-stop shopping for all your updates, the Samsung Social Hub all your social networking services, messages, personal and business e-mail, calendars and contacts. It's built around Messaging and Contacts, both of which initiate the sending and receiving of information--whether it is e-mail, instant messaging, social network updates or SMS messages. Additionally, calendar information from portal calendars, such as Google Calendar, and social networking services are displayed together in one calendar with two-way synchronization.
The familiar text messaging experience is enhanced with group messaging and "reply all" functionality for up to 10 contacts, a threaded conversations format, a consolidated inbox, and enhanced multi-media display.
- Fast 3G connectivity via AT;T's HSDPA/UMTS network (850/1900 MHz bands; 3.6/7.2 Mbps speeds with network availability).
- Ultra-fast Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go. Connect for free using one of the over 20,000 AT;T Wi-Fi hotspots nationwide.
- Powered by the Android operating system (version 2.1) with deep integration of Google services and access to thousands of apps to customize your phone via the Android Market.
- 1 GHz Samsung Hummingbird processor speeds up everything--from playing games to watching shows to opening files from work.
- Swype input system allows you to input text faster and easier by gliding your finger around the keyboard, moving from letter to letter in one continuous motion. The Swype technology then calculates what word you're intending to type (learn more below).
- Samsung Social Hub provides one stop for all your updates integrates all your social networking services, messages, personal and business e-mail, calendars and contacts.
- 4-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen display (480 x 800 pixels, 16 million color depth) is one of the thinnest, most responsive full-featured smartphones in the industry.
- 5.0-megapixel camera/camcorder with auto-focus and HD video recording (720p)
- Intelligent voice processor helps enhance voice and suppress noise for clear communications nearly anywhere. Like the human ear, the chip isolates your voice, and filters out all the unwanted background noise, for unsurpassed mobile call clarity without the noise from a busy street, loud public places, nearby conversations or even sirens going by.
- Multi-format digital audio player
- Next-generation Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity provides faster throughput while minimizing on power requirements. It's compatible with new Bluetooth 3.0-enabled devices as well as backward compatible with older Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as headsets and printers. It includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and the A2DP Bluetooth profile--enabling you to wirelessly stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock.
- 16 GB internal memory
- Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 16 GB.
- YouTube app for streaming video over 3G and Wi-Fi connections.
- Rich HTML e-mail application seamlessly syncs your e-mail, calendar and contacts from Gmail as well as most other POP3 or IMAP e-mail services. The Gmail application provides features such as conversation view, spam filtering, search, and labels that Gmail users enjoy on their computer while offering new features such as integration with the phone's contact list. And it multitasks, so you can read a Web page while also downloading your e-mail in the background.
- Full HTML Web browser enables you to view more pages and enjoy better Web content delivered efficiently to your phone.
- Instant messaging support for Google Talk, as well as AOL, Yahoo! Messenger and Windows Live Messenger. It also supports advanced text messaging features, enabling you to easily flag, delete or move groups of messages and keep track of group conversations through threaded text messaging.
- Text (SMS) and picture/video (MMS) messaging
- Google Calendar app syncs with the Web-based version, so any event that you add to your phone will show up on the Web-based Google Calendar (and vice versa).
- Free AT;T Address Book service allows you to sync your contacts to an online address book, enabling you to access and manage your mobile contacts from your handset--or your PC. From the online interface, you can import contacts from other Web-based address books, such as personal e-mail accounts, as well as send text messages to your contacts' mobile numbers.
Vital StatisticsThe Samsung Captivate weighs 4.5 ounces and measures 4.18 x 2.5 x 0.39 inches. Its 1500 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 5 hours, 50 minutes of talk time, and up to 340 hours (14+ days) of standby time. It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies as well as AT;T's dual-band 3G network (850/1900 MHz; HSDPA/UMTS).
What's in the BoxSamsung Captivate handset, rechargeable battery, charger, wired stereo headset, USB cable, quick start guide
An alternative to the Android virtual keyboard, the Swype virtual keyboard allows you to input text by swiping the finger with one continuous finger or stylus motion across the screen keyboard. Based on testing, speed and accuracy are equal to or better than the traditional keyboard-tapping method. You can activate the Swype keyboard by pressing and holding in a text field, wait for popup to appear, click Input Method, and then select Swype.
In the image to the left, the word "quick" was generated from tracing the path shown above in a fraction of a second, by roughly aiming to pass through the letters of the word. A key advantage to Swype is that there is no need to be very accurate, enabling very rapid text entry.
Also Available for This Android Device
Amazon Appstore for AndroidGet a great paid app for free every day.
KindleBuy a book once and read it everywhere with our free Kindle Reading App for Android.
Amazon MP3Shop 15 million songs and stream your Cloud Drive music directly from your Android device.
IMDBFind local movie showtimes and TV listings, watch trailers, and search the world's largest source of entertainment information.
AudibleDownload audiobooks directly to your Android device, then listen wherever you go, get audiobook news, earn badges, and more.
Amazon MobileShop for millions of products, get product details, and read reviews--right from your mobile device.
Part of Samsung's Galaxy S series, this high-end Android smartphone sports a huge 4-inch OLED display, fast 1 GHz processor, and 5-megapixel camera with advanced options and video capture. Other features include Bluetooth 3.0, Wi-Fi with DLNA streaming, 3.5mm audio jack, and 16 GB of built-in memory plus a memory card slot.
- Unit Dimension (HXWXD) 4.78 x 2.5 x 0.39; Weighs 4.5 ounces
- 4 WVGA 480x800 pixels Super AMOLED touchscreen with SWYPE technology
- 5 Megapixel Camera
- Talk time up to 5 hours 50 minutes
- J;R USA 30-Day Warranty only
I've been holding off my upgrade for a while waiting for the next iphone (iphone4) or android to hit ATT. I went to the ATT store early this morning to finally decide between the iphone 4 and the captivate. I loved the feel of both units, but the captivate's curved body feels sleaker in the hand. While I was very impressed with crispness of the iphone screen; I powered on the captivate and I was even more blown away by the vibrance of the super AMOLED screen. I have spent all day playing around with the phone and have not noticed any sluggishness whatsoever; which was something I feared when looking through online reviews.. I mean c'mon it has the fastest processor out there. Also I read a blog that was spreading a rumor that the Galaxy S phones have a death grip like the iphone 4.. this is completely false as I live in New York where the iphone 4 has problems and have not been able to replicate the effect using multiple grips. So in conclusion I can't say that the phone is an iphone killer for sure.. but it is in my book. It all comes down to personal preferance. I have used the iphone os before and compared to the customizability of Android it comes off as old, locked-to-a-grid and bland. For your referance, I'm 20 years old; and I'm loving where ATT is going with android.
Things I've noticed:
Doesn't have computer software support yet, unless you search for the Samsung Kies software on your own. It detects my device and is compatible.
At first I thought that the USB wouldn't snuggly fit the phone but then I realized that I didn't open the sliding door all the way. But it fits perfectly fine when it is open.. my bad.
The ATT stock apps can not be deleted from the apps menu, but they can be removed from the home screens. It kind of increases the number of items in the menu by alot, but atleast some of those apps I might actually use.
You can download full office productivity suite in the Android Marketplace for FREE. It is called "quickoffice for captivate," and it syncs with your Google docs account and dropbox. I think that it is only free for certain phones as it is named "quickoffice for captivate" on my phone, but on my friend's droid it reads just quickoffice and costs around 10 bucks.
I love using this phone for taking video, in good light of course ;). The sound quality comes through very clear as long as you don't block the mic at the bottom.
Yes Friends after having my hands on DroidX, Nexus One.... I would say this is the best available Android Device with 3 perspective
1. Screen Clarity
2. Great User Interface
Apart from that, here are some Pros:
1. Excellent Bluetooth Connectivity
2. Moto Blur like feature is cool
3. DLNA ( Which mean you connect this device to Samsung DVD player and Bingo...it integrates all the music and videos straight to the TV)
4. TV out capability is very good if not execellent
5. Phone and Speakers are astonishing ( YEAH No Antennae Reception issues)
6. 5MP is very good
7. Phone is even lighter than Droidx and Nexus One ( Was surprised with this result)
8.16 GB INTERNAL STORAGE
9. 512 Mb RAM, that mean any updates more than FROYO is possible (Remember do not buy any Android device less than 512 MB).
10. 3G speed in my area came to about 2.4 Mbps, which is about .3 Mbps faster than Nexus One ( when compared simultaenously)
11. Faster Wifi
Now here are few Cons:
1. No out of market App support ( off course this affects only small community of users, and blame it on At;t here)
2. 5 MP Camera is excellent, but a Flash would have been a Bonus.
3. No Notification Light, although the LED slot is visible ( not sure if this is a defect in my phone or it is standard, I will check back with Samsung and Update the review)
4. Wait for FROYO until September 2010.
All in all, if you are confused between iPhone4 and Captivate; My first and last choice will be Captivate coz of excellent Large screen and Freedom from iTunes. 4 Inch screen make Iphone4 look like a Baby. I am just surprised that Samsung has come up with such a Beauty and Nokia's, RIMs are still wondering 'WHAT WILL CONSUMERS LOVE'